Monday, June 7, 2021
Monday, May 31, 2021
Monday, May 24, 2021
Monday, May 17, 2021
As always with Mystery Movie Night discussions, opinions and spoilers abound, so if you haven't seen a film and prefer not to listen to that part of the episode, here are the time stamps to help you skip to the parts you want to listen to:
00:02:38 - Review of 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
00:23:25 - Review of Being There (1979)
00:46:20 - Review of Clueless (1995)
01:06:51 - Guessing the Connection
Monday, May 10, 2021
- Podcasts like Bonanas for Bonanza and The Untitled GenX Podcast.
- Albums like Disney's Heigh-Ho! Mozart, Yesterday's Wine by Willie Nelson, and This Is What I Live For by Blue October.
- Other audio material like the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio series and SiriusXM
- Books like Growing Gills by Jessica Abel, The Vanished Bride by Bella Ellis, Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo, and The Light of the Jedi by Charles Soule.
- Comics like The Essential Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson, Baltimore by Mike Mignola, Christopher Golden, and Ben Stenbeck, Winter Soldier by Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting, Truth: Red, White, and Black by Robert Morales and Kyle Baker, and Eternals by Peter Gillis, Sal Buscema, and Walt Simonson. Movies like Romeo and Juliet (1968) and the trailer for Shang Chi.
- TV shows like Reign, the Disney+ MCU shows, The Witcher, and Invincible.
- And real talk about Planning for the Future, Fears and Anxieties, Self Checkout Aisles, and Social Ills and Process Improvements.
Download or listen to the episode here.
Monday, May 3, 2021
And as promised on the show, here's part of the script that Sue wrote for the pilot episode of The Ropers:
ESTABLISHING SHOTOutdoor pan of California apartment complex. Cream stucco, palm trees, three stories.INTERIOR, DAYThe apartment is clearly high end California casual. Helen is lying on the couch in a white diaphanous robe with feather accents, flipping through a catalog. Stanley is peering through a curtain.STANLEYI think they’re doing it again. They’re all gathered around the pool like a pack of wolves. There’s going to be a party.HELENYou really need to stop that, you know.STANLEYWhat? Why? As the landlord it’s my job to keep track of everything and make sure tenants are…. Safe.HELEN RAISES AN EYEBROW AT HIS DISTRACTION AND TOSSES DOWN THE CATALOGAnd not stare at them when they wear bikinis at the pool.STANLEY, LOOKING AFFRONTEDThis has nothing to do with bikinis, I’ll have you know. That kid Cory is out there with a drone.HELEN, PERKING UP AND GETTING OFF THE COUCHHe’s not a kid, he’s thirty, and what is he wearing?STANLEY, STEPPING BACK AS HELEN WORMS HER WAY IN FRONT OF HIM TO LOOK OUT THE WINDOWYou really undermine yourself when you stare at the boys more than I stare at the girls.HELENI’m a middle-aged woman, we’re considered harmless no matter what we do.STANLEY SNORTSTHERE IS A KNOCK AT THE DOOR AND STANLEY OPENS IT. THERE IS A YOUNG, ATTRACTIVE WOMAN WRAPPED IN A SWIM ROBESTANLEYAmber, what’s up?AMBERSorry, Mr. Roper, but I was hoping you could let me into my apartment? I forgot my keys again.STANLEYWe’ve talked about this, Amber. I’m not your personal butler.AMBERI’m sorry. Pleeeeaase?STANLEY ROLLS HIS EYES AND GRABS HIS KEYS. HELEN WAVES FROM THE WINDOWHELENBe careful out there, honey. Watch out for the wolves!AMBER, LOOKING CONFUSEDWolves, Mrs. Roper?HELENDon’t worry, you’ll start to recognize them. But you don’t need to worry about the ones whose teeth have worn down.HELEN WINKS AT HER HUSBAND. STANLEY BARES HIS TEETH IN A SARCASTIC SMILE AND FOLLOWS AMBER OUT OF THE DOOR.
And here's Evan's proof-of-concept visual for sexy IKEA:
Monday, April 26, 2021
Monday, April 19, 2021
Monday, April 12, 2021
- Podcasts like The Classic Tales, Writers/Blockbusters, Judge John Hodgman, and The History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps.
- The poetry of Emily Dickinson and Langston Hughes
- Books like The Exploits of Arsène Lupin by Maurice Leblanc, the Darth Bane trilogy by Drew Karpyshyn, and Marvel Classic Novels - X-Men and the Avengers: The Gamma Quest Omnibus by Greg Cox.
- Comics like the Thor Eternals saga, A Silent Voice, Vol. 1 by Yoshitoki Ōima, and Star Trek:Year Five.
- Movies like April Fool's Day, A Star is Born, and Godzilla vs Kong.
- TV series like Lovecraft Country, Bleak House adaptations, Resident Alien, and The Haunting of Hill House.
- And real talk about wedding rings, racism, pets, and staying young.
Monday, April 5, 2021
Monday, March 29, 2021
For listeners who haven't seen all the movies and want to avoid spoilers, here are the time stamps for each review, including the guessing part in case you want to skip straight to that:
00:05:37 - Review of Empire of the Sun (1987)
00:23:18 - Review of Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003)
00:36:32 - Review of Sacro Gra (2013)
00:49:49 - Guessing the Connection
Monday, March 22, 2021
- Relationships with music
- Books like the Don Camillo stories by Giovanni Gerserchi, the Jane Austen detective series by Stephanie Barron, Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, and The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle.
- Comics like Aster of Pan by Merwan Chabane and Joshua Williamson’s Flash run.
- Godzilla: King of the Monsters and movies about Queen Elizabeth I.
- TV shows like The Clone Wars, The Expanse Season 2, Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes, Stanley Tucci’s Searching for Italy, Queen’s Gambit, WandaVision, and the 90s Flash series.
- And finally, real talk about Family, Loss, Identity, and Spring.
Monday, March 15, 2021
Monday, March 8, 2021
Monday, March 1, 2021
Monday, February 22, 2021
- Books like Carthage Must be Destroyed: The Rise and Fall of an Ancient Mediterranean Civilization by Richard Miles, Redwall by Brian Jacques, the Horatio Hornblower series by CS Forester, The Tournament by Matthew Reilly, and Storykiller by Kelly Thompson.
- Comics like The Eternals by Jack Kirby and Marvel's Killraven series.
- Movies like Mank, the Schwarzenegger Conan series, and Legendary Pictures' Godzilla and Kong MonsterVerse.
- TV shows like Ted Lasso.
- And real talk about Heist Stories, Separating Art from Artist, the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and Truffles.
Monday, February 15, 2021
Monday, February 1, 2021
Monday, January 25, 2021
- Books of fairy tales and the works of Ray Bradbury and Italo Calvino
- Comics about Spider-Man and the third Green Goblin, Red Hood and the Outlaws, and The Shadow
- TV shows like Dickensian, The Expanse, The Great, Queen’s Gambit, and the eighth season of Mad About You
- Movies like Overlord and the Marvel films leading into WandaVision
- And real talk on Boat Names, Book Formats, Family, and Spheres of Influence
Monday, January 18, 2021
Monday, January 4, 2021
Opening song by Andrew Bird.